Angels Yorkies & Designer Puppies Cincinnati                                               Ohio

Many foods we enjoy can be dangerous  and even extremely toxic to your new designer and yorkies puppy. Please don't take any chances with your new Yorkie or designer puppies' health. Feed your new puppy only their puppy food. For a treat, a small amount of baked, skinless chicken breast is okay. You may also give your puppy a little cottage cheese, or some plain yogurt that contains NO artificial sugar.  Puppies also love Parmesan cheese sprinkled on their kibble.

1. Chocolate/Caffeine:
Chocolate contains theobromine, a compound that is a cardiac stimulant and a diuretic.

 After a Yorkie or designer puppy like our Shorkies, yorkipoos, Shih-poos that we offer has eaten a large quantity of chocolate, many puppy owners assume their little one is unaffected. However, the signs of sickness may not be seen for several hours, with death following within 24 hours. Symptoms include staggering, labored breathing, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, tremors, fever, heart rate increase, arrhythmia, seizures, coma and death.

 Cocoa powder and cooking chocolate are the most toxic forms. A 20 pound dog can be seriously affected if it eats a quarter of a 250gm packet of cocoa powder or half a 250gm block of cooking chocolate. These forms of chocolate contain 10x more theobromine than milk chocolate. Thus, a chocolate mud cake could be a real health risk for a small dog. Even licking a substantial part of the chocolate icing from the cake can make a dog unwell.

 Semi-sweet chocolate and dark chocolate are the next most dangerous. A dog needs to eat more than a 250gm block of milk chocolate to be affected. Obviously, the smaller the dog, the less it needs to eat.

2.  Xylitol

Xylitol is a sugar-free sweetener most often found in chewing gum and candy. In dogs like our Teddy bears puppies and others, it stimulates the pancreas to secrete insulin, resulting in hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Xylitol ingestion can also cause severe liver damage. As few as two pieces of gum can cause hypoglycemia to a 20 pound dog. A pack of gum can cause liver damage.

 Signs of toxicity can occur within 30-60 minutes and include weakness, drunken gait, collapse and seizures. 

Your vet may induce vomiting or perform gastric lavage. The affected dog will likely need to be treated intravenously with dextrose (sugar) and monitored closely for 1-2 days. Many dogs improve with supportive care if treated early enough, though liver damage can be permanent.

3. Grapes and Raisins

Grapes and raisins can cause irreversible damage to the kidneys, possible resulting in death. Ingesting as few as 4-5 grapes or raisins can be poisonous to a 20 pound dog, and all of our Yorkies, and designer puppies like our Yorkipoo, Shorkies are under that weight. athough the exact toxic dose is not established.

Signs of toxicity include vomiting, loss of appetite, diarrhea, abdominal pain, decreased urine production (possibly leading to lack of urine production), weakness and drunken gait. Onset of signs typically occurs within 24 hours (though they can start just a few hours after consumption).

4. Onions

Onions can cause a form of hemolytic anemia called Heinz body anemia, a condition that causes the destruction of red blood cells. Kidney damage may follow. Toxicity may occur from similar foods such as garlic and chives. It is not clear what quantity of onions is poisonous, but the effects can be cumulative. Poisoning can result from raw, cooked and dehydrated forms. Avoid feeding table scraps and any foods cooked with onions (including some baby foods). Check your ingredients!

    Signs are secondary to anemia, such as pale gums, rapid heart rate, weakness and lethargy. Other signs include vomiting, diarrhea, and bloody urine. Treatment: blood transfusions and/or oxygen administration may be necessary, followed by specific fluid therapy. 

5. Caffeine

Caffeine is quite similar to the toxic chemical in chocolate. It can damage the heart, lungs, kidney and central nervous system. Commons sources of toxicity include caffeine pills, coffee beans and coffee, large amounts of tea, and chocolate.

    Signs typically begin with restlessness, hyperactivity and vomiting. These can be followed by panting, weakness, drunken gait increased heart rate, muscle tremors and convulsions.

    Your vet may induce vomiting or perform gastric lavage. Treatment includes administration of activated charcoal and supportive care with fluid therapy and medication.

 6.  Macadamia nuts

Macadamia nuts, while generally not considered fatal, can cause your dog to experience severe illness. The actual toxin is not known, nor is the mechanism of toxicity.

    Signs include vomiting, weakness, depression, drunken gait, joint/muscle pain, and joint swelling.

    Onset of signs typically occurs within 6-24 hours.

    Dogs are typically treated symptomatically and recover within 24-48 hours. In-hospital supportive care may be recommend for dogs that become very sick.

7. Alcoholic beverages contain ethanol

 Ethanol, a seriously toxic chemical compound that causes central nervous system and respiratory depression. Uncooked yeast doughs also produce ethanol, even small amounts of ethanol can cause toxic effects.

    Signs include sedation, depression, lethargy, weakness, drunken gait and hypothermia (low body temperature).

    Ethanol is rapidly absorbed into the system, so it is important to seek medical attention quickly. It is not usually helpful to induce vomiting. Treatment includes aggressive supportive care with fluid therapy and medications.

    Under controlled circumstances, alcohol is used by veterinarians as an antidote for antifreeze (ethylene glycol) poisoning.

8. Moldy or rotten foods

Moldy or rotten foods can cause many problems for your dog, some more serious than others. Any food that seems "past its prime" should be kept out reach. Be especially careful to keep your dog away from trash cans.

9. Marijuana 

With more Laws allowing more people to use marijuana for medicinal purposes, pets are more frequently exposed when they ingest baked products with this drug as an ingredient. Just as dark chocolate is safe for humans to ingest but potentially poisonous to dogs, so goes marijuana for dogs. Luckily, marijuana ingestion is very rarely fatal to a dog and most are back to normal within 24 hours. Marijuana exposure in pets causes neurologic toxicity, which is not the same as the "high" that people experience. Long-term complications from exposure to marijuana are exceedingly rare.  However, pets suffering from marijuana intoxication may injure themselves due to lack of coordination.  Dehydration can result when pets are unable to consume water.  The symptoms (staggering, seizures agitation, hallucinations with barking, stupor, etc.) that develop in pets do not appear enjoyable for them.  Because it is a controlled substance, people who know that their pet has consumed marijuana are often reluctant to reveal this fact to veterinarians.  The symptoms of marijuana intoxication are similar to those of several more serious syndromes.  If the veterinarian treating the pet is not aware of marijuana exposure, he or she is likely to recommend a number of expensive tests and treatments that may not be necessary.

  Certain foods, while not considered toxic, can still be unhealthy for your dog. Avoid any foods that are high in fat, sugar or sodium. These foods can contribute to indigestion, obesity, dehydration, electrolyte imbalance and more. Dairy products may be difficult for dogs to digest. Corn cobs and bones can cause GI obstruction. Cooked bones may splinter and break easily, risking GI damage.

 Like people, too much junk food can cause poor condition and decreased energy. Remember that your dog is smaller than you and may be sensitive. What seems like "just a bite" for you is more like a small meal for your dog. If you want to feed homemade food, seek advice from your vet.

ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center 

is your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think that your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call (888) 426-4435.

If you would like to see some pictures of our cute Yorkipoos,Shorkies,Shihipoo's,Morkies and Yorkies please check out our other pages.

     Please remember many types of house plants and flowers can also be                                                               poisonous to your dog.

  Angels Yorkies & Designer Puppy's 513-528-3186